I’ll be honest…one of the main reasons I wanted to move back to Sanlúcar de Barrameda from Seville is the food! The restaurants in Sanlúcar are the epitome of the Mediterranean diet—light dishes, lots of olive oil, local veggies, homemade breads, and let’s not forget fresh seafood. Below you’ll find a list of my favorite restaurants in the centro (city center), Bajo de Guía (beach), and Barrio Alto (uptown) and what I’d recommend ordering at each one. If you’re interested in learning about the newest restaurants in town check out this post.
Balbino is one of the most famous restaurants in Sanlúcar. It has a reputation far and wide for it’s delicious tapas, traditional décor, and casual vibe. This restaurant’s specially is tortilla de camarones (the only way I can try to describe this dish is “shrimp pancake”). In summer it’s nearly impossible to get a table outside but you might be able to grab a seat inside. At Balbino you order food at the counter and the server will keep a tab for you (in summer you might need to pay as soon as you order). Once your food is ready the server will bring your tapas to the counter and you can take them to your table. If you want to order more or ask for the bill you need to remember who your waiter is—he’s the one who has got your tab!
- Pimiemto relleno – stuffed pepper
- Choco frito – fried cuttlefish (similar to squid/calamari)
- Tortilla de camarones – their most famous dish ~ fried shrimp pancakes
- Gambas con berenjena frita – fried shrimp wrapped in eggplant
- Salmorejo – traditional cold tomato soup
- Gazpacho – tomato/vegetable drink (hangover cure)
- Pudin de atun – tuna pudding
- Croquetas caseras – homemade croquettes
Address: Plaza de Cabildo, 14 Sanlucar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
Barbiana is another famous restaurant in Sanlúcar. Their specialty is papas aliñas con melva —a traditional tapa containing potatoes, melva (fish that tastes like tuna), onions, olive oil, and parsley. Barbiana offers a simple, traditional menu—I recommend trying ensaladilla, croquetas, and choco frito too.
Address: Plaza de Cabildo, 2 Sanlucar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
Bodegón de Lola
When the Plaza de Cabildo is too crowded and you want some delicious and cheap tapas head to Bodegón de Lola. The owners of this restaurant are related to Casa Balbino so you’ll get to enjoy some of the same tapas like tortilla de camarones. This place is a local favorite and is usually packed. I recommend trying the following dishes:
- Caprichito de Lola
- Crujiente de Lola
- Pudin de cola de toro
- Atun con salmorejo
- Hamburguesa de Corvina
- Patata rellena en salsa de tomate
Address: Calle San Miguel, 4 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
Puerta de la Victoria
If you’re in the mood for tapas with a modern twist head to Puerta de la Victoria; you’ll find classic tapas like papas aliñas and choco frito but they also have new favorites like milhojas de foie and tartar de salmon con aguacate! Make sure to order the biscocho de chocolate, their molten chocolate cake served with vanilla icecream!
- Milhojas de foie
- Croquetas de setas
- Aguacate relleno con gambas
- Tartar de Salmon con aguacate
- Any of the “barquillos”
- Any of the desserts/postres!
Address: Calle de la Victoria, 7 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
Another local favorite Casa Perico that never disappoints! You will find fresh seafood, large portions, and great prices! It’s one of my favorite restaurants in Sanlúcar.
- Pez espada a la plancha
- Marrajo a la plancha
- Corvina a la plancha
- Choco a la plancha
- Any of the fried fish or seafood (choco, cazon, marrajo, puntillitas, etc.)
- Gambas al ajillo
Address: Calle Salvador Gallardo, 27 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
La Lobera is just outside of the historic center. This resturant offers a fantastic selection of tapas that are sure to please every palate.
- Mini hamburguesa de buey (mini buey burger)
- Tartar de atún (tuna tartar)
- Rissotto de setas y gambas (mushroom + shrimp risotto)
- Torre de Babel (I can’t explain it…just order it!)
- Pulpo a la Gallega (best octopus I’ve ever had)
Address: Avenida de Cerro Falón, 32 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cadíz 11540
Bajo de Guía
Club Nautico is the perfect place to eat lunch. Try to get a table upstairs for great views of Doñana and the beach below. The specialty at Club Nautico is seafood but the meat dishes they offer are delicious too. I highly recommend choosing any of the fresh fish they have in-house the day you visit. Last time I went we ordered Pargo al horna con pimientos and it was fantastic!
- Almejas a la marinera
- Any of the meat dishes (solomillo, entrecot, etc.)
- Corvina a la plancha
- Dorada a la sal
- Pargo al horno con pimientos
Address: Avenida de Bajo de Guia, 0 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
Casa Bigote is another famous restaurant in Sanlúcar. It arguably has the best seafood in Cadíz. You can choose to eat at the taberna (tapas bar) or in the restaurant; if you want to eat in the restaurant you should try to make a reservation upstairs in advance. The main difference between the taberna and the restaurant are the prices; the taberna offers cheaper dishe but you’ll eat your meal standing at a barrel or the counter of the restaurant. Personally, I like eating at the tapas bar and don’t mind standing (it’s a good way to mingle with locals and check out all the decorations covering the walls of the bar). We usually go to the restaurant for special occasions. Click here for more photos and recommendations at Casa Bigote.
- Morrajo a la vinagreta
- Corvina en salsa tartara
- Hamburguesas de Bacalao al queso
- Carpaccio de gambas blancas
- Atun mechado
Address: Calle Portico Bajoe de Guia, 10 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, 11540 Cadiz, Spain
El Espejo Gastrobar
El Espejo Gastrobar is another one of my favorite restaurants in Sanlúcar. We always make a reservation because Espejo is popular with both tourists and locals. The restaurant is located just a few blocks from Nuestra Señora de la O (famous church in Barrio Alto) and the Castillo de Santiago.
- Croquetas de jamón y pollo (chicken/ham croquettes)
- Bacalao confitado con patatas y ajo negro (white fish with potato puree and black garlic)
- Hamburguesa de ternera con patatas (hamburger with potatoes)
- Ravioli de carrillera ibérica con manzana asada (Beef ravioli with grilled apples)
- Coulant de choco crema de cacahuete y toffe con helado de caramelo (AMAZING!!!! Chocolate + peanut butter lava cake)
Address: Calle Caballeros 11 Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cadiz 11540
Take this article with you when you travel – click here to save to mobile device